The student news site of Wakeland High School

Wakeland Access

• Student Council Is Meeting After School Oct. 14th To Discuss Halloween

• Donate Canned Food Goods to your 3A Class for a Chance to Win Babe's Lunch

• Ping Pong Club Meets Wed.

No More Broken Hearts

Student Congress Makes Valentine’s Day Hearts to Hang Around School

Jordan Reinken

Jordan Reinken

Jordan Reinken, Assignments Editor

Don’t be worried about being forgotten this Valentine’s Day. The 3B student council class has been working on making paper hearts to hang around the school. Every student in Wakeland will have a heart with their name on it somewhere in the hallways.

“It’s just something nice to do for the students,” junior Camryn Marsh said. “Everyone gets their name up and each grade level has a different color of hearts.”

Freshman have purple hearts, sophomores have light pink, juniors have hot pink and seniors have red. However, a lot more than just color assigning goes into making these paper hearts.

“We have to get the pieces of paper and the heart stencil and then we put it in the Di cutter,” junior Alondra Alfaro said. “Then we have to work the Di cutter which is the hardest part. After that someone has to write the names on all the different colored hearts and then hole punch them.”

After they are all made, the student congress members prep the hearts to be hung up around the school.

“We normally take string through the hole punched hearts by grade level and string them across,” junior Courtnie Stone said. “We like to string them over the balcony areas so students can see them around the school.”

While the hearts may seem like a big effort, they are appreciated by both the people that make them and enjoy them.

“It takes a while, but [the hearts] are nice to have,” senior Abbi Best said. “They look really good in the school and it’s a cute decoration for Valentine’s day.”

The Valentine’s hearts are a way to unite the whole school and help make sure no one feels left out of the love-filled holiday.

“It makes you feel wanted and it brings the student body together because they can see all their names around the school,” senior Katie Rodriquez said. “It really opens your eye to how many students actually go here since there’s over 2,000 hearts.”

Student council anticipates the hearts to be a big hit and wants students to be on the look-out for their names in the hallways closer to February 14. In previous years, hearts are hanging down from the upstairs. This year student council is brainstorming a new location for these Valentine’s Day decorations so be on the look-out.

“A lot of the people really love getting to go and find their heart and sometimes people take pictures of other kid’s [hearts] and send it to them like ‘oh I found your heart,’” Stone said. “It’s just something fun that people like to look for and it decorates the school.”