The student news site of Wakeland High School

Wakeland Access

• Student Council Is Meeting After School Oct. 14th To Discuss Halloween

• Donate Canned Food Goods to your 3A Class for a Chance to Win Babe's Lunch

• Ping Pong Club Meets Wed.

The Giving Tree

Kaitlyn Shivers

Kaitlyn Shivers

Katherine Kiesling, Reporter

For the band, the past ten years have been full of change. For a program that started with 68 people, it has more than quadrupled in size to about 275 members, and went from having to clean slate to earning four state finalist positions. The one thing that has stayed constant for a decade has been director Gerry Miller. However, “Forever” marks Miller’s last year at Wakeland as he will be taking a new job at Coppell High School in the fall as the head director.

“I am disappointed, but it’s an amazing opportunity for him,” freshman Lexi Brown said. “I’m happy for the new experiences, though.”

Miller has seen and directed every show that has made it through the program. This includes “Rhapsody in Blue,” “Foxhunt,” “Butterfly Effect,” “Checkmate,” “Practice Makes Perfect,” “The Midas Touch,” “The Pied Piper,” “Freeze Frame,” “Venomous” and “Forever.” Coming this fall, the marching show will be “The Giving Tree” based off the book by Shel Silverstein.

“I think the show is going to be amazing,” freshman Sarah Gunter said. “It’s going to be very emotional, but it’ll be as great as it was last year.”

Originally, Miller planned most of the show for next year about the book, along with the other directors and Michael Shapiro, and plans to still be involved in the creation of the show throughout the summer. The show will take the band and audience through the book, the story about a boy who grows up with a tree. The tree loves the boy and consistently sacrifices parts of itself to make the boy happy,  eventually leaving the tree as no more than a stump. When the boy returns a grown man, needing somewhere to sit and rest, the tree and him are reunited one more time, and the tree is happy.

“I feel a bit empty, because things won’t be the way they usually are,” sophomore Oliver Drummond-Murray said. “We may not have the emotional strength that holds us together, but we’ll still be Wakeland, and that’s what matters.”