The student news site of Wakeland High School

Wakeland Access

• Student Council Is Meeting After School Oct. 14th To Discuss Halloween

• Donate Canned Food Goods to your 3A Class for a Chance to Win Babe's Lunch

• Ping Pong Club Meets Wed.

Win Some, Lose Some

Using Octathlon to Re-Build Academic Decathlon Team

Sophomore+Reece+Walter+laughs+at+a+joke+while+cramming+for+her+Octathlon+test+on+%0D%0ASocial+Science+of+India.+%E2%80%9CWe+were+the+only+team+that+had+fun%2C%E2%80%9D+Walter+said.+%E2%80%9CThe+other+coaches+even+asked+us+why+were+smiling+so+much.%E2%80%9D+
Sophomore Reece Walter laughs at a joke while cramming for her Octathlon test on 
Social Science of India. “We were the only team that had fun,” Walter said. “The other coaches even asked us why were smiling so much.”

Sophomore Reece Walter laughs at a joke while cramming for her Octathlon test on Social Science of India. “We were the only team that had fun,” Walter said. “The other coaches even asked us why were smiling so much.”

Rohit Bolla

Rohit Bolla

Rohit Bolla, Reporter

This was just one of six tests, all on the subject of India, that the Octathlon team took Saturday April 20 along with over 200 students from over 10 other cities. Each school sent a team of rising sophomores and juniors to represent their individual Academic Decathlon programs. While there is no state level for Octathlon, this competition gave students a rare glimpse into the dynamic of the real Academic Decathlon Competition in which there is a regional, state and national level.

“It’s nice to see kids around the city participating in something like this. It’s just a fun way to learn about how the AcDec competition works,” Academic Decathlon coach Joanna Cone said. “It gives us a good idea of who we are up against in the future for AcDec.”

The 2016-2017 AcDec team has large shoes to fill with this year’s team making district history and placing third at the Texas State Competition for Academic Decathalon. With many of the winning students graduating, next year’s team will have to recover from a large loss and will have spots filled by many new students.

All the competitors, except Kevin Tuttle, were new to the Academic Decathlon system and Octathlon was their first experience with how the actual competition works.

“One of the good things about Octathlon is that we can use it when we prepare for regionals and state,”

Cone said. “We can look back and see each person’s strengths and weaknesses.”

However, the team’s scores were far from novice with multiple students winning medals. Sophomores Rohit Bolla and Tuttle as well as freshman Oliver Shi all participated in the Decathlon competition and won numerous medals in areas such as mathematics, economics, social science and music. Tuttle also won a medal for overall total points in his bracket.

The Octathlon team consisted of seven students with everyone being new to the Academic Decathlon circuit except one, sophomore Kevin Tuttle. Front Row left to right: Reece Walter, 10, Ilisa Norman, 10, Rohit Bolla, 10 Second Row left to right: Chandler Joyner, 9, Kean Chastain-Howley, 9, Oliver Shi 9, Kevin Tuttle, 10

The Octathlon team consisted of seven students with everyone being new to the Academic Decathlon circuit except one, sophomore Kevin Tuttle.
Front Row left to right: Reece Walter, 10, Ilisa Norman, 10, Rohit Bolla, 10
Second Row left to right: Chandler Joyner, 9, Kean Chastain-Howley, 9, Oliver Shi 9, Kevin Tuttle, 10

“It was a team effort,” Tuttle said. “We had great coaches who put so much effort to make it all possible.”

The team also swept a second place in the Super Quiz, a live quiz where students had ten seconds to collaborate with teammates and answer each question.

“It was super fun to test our team’s knowledge against others head-to-head as the tense competition had us on the edge to see if we got it right,” sophomore Ilisa Norman said.

Because of the little preparation that was put in, the students were surprised with the scores they received.

“We didn’t even study that much and we got so many points,” Shi said. “Think about what will happen when we do really study.”

While last season may have been a high point for the Academic Decathlon team, these underclassmen seem to have already started to build a winning streak for themselves.

“We’re ready,” Norman said. “The path to state starts now.”

The Super Quiz took place in the auxiliary gym. At each team post, students had only seconds to talk over and write the answer to a question displayed on the screen that could be from any of the Academic Decathlon subjects. “Super quiz was challenging, and the tension to see who was winning was palpable. The best part of the experience was having that group effort at the end of a long day that let us celebrate something that we could be all proud of.” Chastain-Howley said.