The student news site of Wakeland High School

Wakeland Access

• Student Council Is Meeting After School Oct. 14th To Discuss Halloween

• Donate Canned Food Goods to your 3A Class for a Chance to Win Babe's Lunch

• Ping Pong Club Meets Wed.

Grand Finale

ISM Students Conclude Their Year With Final Presentation

Jacob Sellers presents his study of language acquisition and advocacy with world history teacher John Lane.

Trey Brooks

Trey Brooks

Trey Brooks, Webmaster

Representing career paths from middle school education to chocolate confectionery, the cafeteria is lined with many diverse trifolds depicting various occupations that the independent study and mentorship students had devoted their year to.  Despite this diversity, ISM students all started with the singular goal of bettering themselves in any way possible.

“ISM helped me grow by teaching me time management, professionalism, and everything I could think of about Ministry,” senior Michael Vining said.  “I had every chance to learn more through ISM and I was forced into tight deadlines and situations that only put me through stronger. I have to say that ISM was the primary tool for my maturing during senior year. It simply forced me to grow up.”  

For their final presentations, the students were required to construct an original presentation detailing the progress they had made in their fields and the way that their mentors impacted them throughout the years.  At the start of the night, the students displayed their trifolds depicting their respective field of study.  Senior Jake Goins’ final project consisted of a well-researched report on the benefits of fracking as he plans to pursue petroleum engineering during his college years.

“ISM allowed me to explore a career path that I was interested in and gave me the opportunity to work with professionals in the field, applying what I had learned to a tangible final project,” Goins said.  “ISM helped me to become more independent and comfortable in professional interview settings and allowed me to grow into a more knowledgeable engineer.”

After the initial presentation of the trifolds, the students introduced their mentors in the auditorium.  The bonds between the students and mentors were a vital part of the entire class, as students relied on their mentors for both guidance and companionship.

“My mentors influenced me directly through becoming great friends of mine,” Vining said.  “I was able to really get advice, counseling, and encouragement from both of them.  They backed me all the way and gave me self confidence for sure.”

Family and friends were allowed to learn more about their field of study and the progress that they made as the students finished the night with a slideshow of their achievements and most memorable moments during their time in ISM.

“My favorite moment from ISM was my first High School sermon,” Vining said.  “That moment was what ISM is all about to me. It told me what I am called to do with absolute certainty. ISM was the best choice I made in high school. No doubts.”

Jake Goins showcases his petroleum engineering presentation, which focused on the benefits of fracking.