The student news site of Wakeland High School

Wakeland Access

• Student Council Is Meeting After School Oct. 14th To Discuss Halloween

• Donate Canned Food Goods to your 3A Class for a Chance to Win Babe's Lunch

• Ping Pong Club Meets Wed.

Xbox One: The One For You?

Photo from Microsoft News Center.

Photo from Microsoft News Center.

Photo from Microsoft News Center.

Trey Brooks, Journalist For Wakeland Access

Xbox One First Impressions

Microsoft, creators of the popular video game consoles: the Xbox 360 and Xbox, have released a sequel to their prior two consoles.  This sequel is titled the Xbox One.  Although the name seems simple and unattractive, the system itself holds many interesting surprises.

I’ll start with the graphics.  The graphics are visually impressive as it runs at 1080p and 60fps, but there are many cases where games will not use the graphics capabilities to their full potential.  Games such as Dead Rising 3 and NBA 2k14 actually seem like they could only exist on the Xbox One.  Dead Rising 3 has great visuals and broke the record for most zombies on a screen at once in a video game, and even though NBA 2k14 is not Xbox One exclusive, the difference between the Xbox One version and the regular 360 version is night and day.  Other games such as Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag and Peggle 2 feel as if they didn’t give their best effort to make a huge improvement to their games.  I feel that if they’re going to release a game for Xbox One, they should at least utilize the amazing console that Microsoft has given them to its fullest potential.

Currently the gaming library is pretty basic with mostly multiplatform games.  Some exclusives include Ryse: Son of Rome which has been applauded for its stunning graphics, but criticized for abysmal gameplay, and Forza 5, the newest addition to the popular racing game series that has won countless awards.  The current lineup isn’t very impressive, but 2014 holds many surprises for the Xbox One.  One game in particular that has much anticipation built up is Titanfall, a tactical shooting game that combines a familiar first person shooting formula with, wait for it, robots.  Another is Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare that runs on the critically acclaimed Frostbite 3 engine that was first used in Battlefield 4.  It combines the classic Plants Vs. Zombies charm with the grit and action of a third person shooter.

It would probably help to know what exactly you’re getting with an Xbox One.  The Xbox One comes with a controller, a mic, and a Kinect (Not to mention a really fine sticker.  You can tell that Microsoft spared no expense in delivering you the legit gaming experience).  The only issue with this is that the controller runs on batteries.  You don’t get a rechargeable battery pack as that is sold separately.  This actually segways into a complaint that I have.  For whatever reason, there is no indicator of your battery life on the console.  If you want to know how much battery life your controller has, you’re out of luck.

A big selling point for the Xbox One was the ability to connect your cable box or direct TV box to your Xbox One.  This way you can watch your TV and switch seamlessly back to your game during a commercial break.  Although this feature is interesting, there is also the option to plug some other console into your Xbox One through the HDMI port.  It’s accessible and easy to do because it doesn’t take up any more HDMI outlets in your TV.  I personally have done this with my 360 and it’s actually pretty awesome.  There is virtually no lag or delay unless I’m losing in which case there was tons of lag.

One of my favorite things about getting a new console is the natural charm of the startup screen.  Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft has never made peaceful background music  in their set-ups or cute characters running around while your painfully long firmware update installs.  The Xbox One setup includes you saying stuff into the kinect and standing in front of the Kinect.  It’s pretty bland, but I’m probably the only person who really cares about that.  The setup itself isn’t much to talk about, but the annoying part is the installations.  Each game requires an installation time of around 15 minutes.  This is tedious, but would be acceptable if there weren’t reports that this time is longer than that of the ps4.  It shouldn’t really a factor in which console you should buy, but some people look into it quite a lot.

The price of the Xbox One is $100 more than that of the Ps4 and $250 more than the Wii U.  $500 is a lot of money, but it’s unfair to think of this as just another buy.  It’s more of an investment.  The main complaint is the Kinect being bundled in, but it fits in pretty well with the system.  There have rumors that Microsoft is going to release a Kinectless version of the One, but that sounds as though it is a long ways down the road.  In terms of price drops, there is little reason to believe that there will be one soon.  Microsoft’s Xbox One launch has been very successful, so they probably wouldn’t see much of a reason to lower the price.  There is a very little chance that you will find a One used so the only way to save money is seemingly to wait it out.

The Xbox One is in it’s early console life, but it already has many practical apps.  Netflix is available as well as Hulu +.  It also plays Blue-Ray movies.  Returning from the Xbox 360 is the ability to download games from their online store, but right now the game library isn’t very expansive.  Peggle 2 and Halo: Spartan Assault are the notable ones.  Also Minecraft is returning for the One in a new version that reportedly will have “Bigger worlds, bigger multiplayer, more minecraft.”  Another interesting feature is the ability to download the Smart Glass app onto your phone and control some aspects of your One from your phone.  Although this feature failed to make an impact on the 360, Microsoft is attempting to bring it back with the One.  This is more of a gimmick, but it could be a pretty interesting feature if it is used in the right way.

For the Xbox One, the future is bright.  With the first Halo 5 concept art being released recently and many other hopeful games such as Destiny and Titanfall the Xbox One isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.  If you want to buy the One, but are patient (Unlike me) and want to make the best investment, I’d wait for that one game that you just can’t go without.  Whether it’s Halo or the new Star Wars: Battlefront (Release Date and nearly everything else TBD) or even Garden Warfare, it should be the games that sell you on the console.