The student news site of Wakeland High School

Wakeland Access

• Student Council Is Meeting After School Oct. 14th To Discuss Halloween

• Donate Canned Food Goods to your 3A Class for a Chance to Win Babe's Lunch

• Ping Pong Club Meets Wed.

Sassy But Classy: The Dress Code Dilemma

Unjustified Anger From Girls Seen In Response To New Dress Code Checks

Jessica Hammond, Sports Manager

The installment of new dress code sweeps taking place during some 1st and 2nd period classes have some students outraged. The fact that a student’s outfit is being looked at in detail to check for its appropriateness seems to be the end of the world for some. Words complaining that “AP’s have nothing better to do than dress code everyone in the school,” have been heard in the hallways and can be found posted all over Twitter.

But are the APs really out to catch every single person breaking the dress code? When you take into consideration the fact that making sure students are abiding by this policy is actually a part of the admin’s job, it justifies their actions of making students change clothes into something more appropriate.

“None of us are out to get anybody,” Seleste Sully, Assistant Principal, said. “[The administrators] don’t just sit around and say ‘Oo. We want to catch all the girls that are out of dress code with leggings.’ That’s not what we do. It’s just a part of our job–what we are supposed to be doing. We just want to make sure that the kids are dressed appropriately.”

A tighter leash is kept on girls when it comes to what they can and cannot wear. Still, this isn’t necessarily intentional.

“It’s not that we’re targeting [girls],” Sully said. “It’s just that most of the time, those are the ones that are out of dress code.”

It’s almost humorous when a girl who has been punished for being out of dress code begins a rant about how angry they are over the situation, as if changing into a pair of sweatpants is a national outrage. Every student in the building knows what is and isn’t allowed to be worn, and what the rules are, and if they don’t, the student handbook with rules about clothing is available online.

Yet, when one gets caught breaking the rules, it normally results in anger and bitterness towards the staff. But think about it. The expectations of the dress code are clearly known, and it’s the students choice if they deliberately break these rules. How does that justify resentment to teachers and administration? You can get mad because you got in trouble, but not if you know in advance what is expected. The culprit for the problem actually falls back on to the one who broke the rules in the first place. You.

“I understand, because I am a female and I do enjoy dressing tight and right, but follow the rules,” Sully said. “If you know that leggings are against the dress code, and you’re going to wear leggings, make sure that your shirt is the appropriate length. I don’t know what the big deal is. If you know what the rules are, then just obey them.”

In five to ten years, the majority of us are going to find ourselves in a professional work environment. And chances are, you can’t just waltz up to your office in whatever outfit you want. There are certain expectations that are expected to be met. For students, learning is our job and the classroom is our work environment. Not only are we preparing ourselves for our future through our education, but our behavior too.

Trust me. As a girl, I know the feeling of wanting to wear a pair of leggings to school on a lazy day, or a pair of shorts when the temperatures rise, but I don’t. I can’t push the boundaries of our workplace’s rules, just because I feel like they should be different. Rules are rules, and they’re there for a reason. It’s better just to suck it up and live with it, than to risk punishment over something as insignificant as the pants you’re wearing. I’ll take being professional over rebellious.

“If you look at the real reason we come to school, it’s not to put on a fashion show,” Sully said.

For now, instead of complaining about something that can’t be changed, let’s attempt to be thankful we can get a dose of the reality most of us will be facing in just a few short years when it comes to how we dress for work. Remember that dress code isn’t a punishment, but a standard.

“Let’s keep it sassy but classy, Wakeland,” Sully said.