The student news site of Wakeland High School

Wakeland Access

• Student Council Is Meeting After School Oct. 14th To Discuss Halloween

• Donate Canned Food Goods to your 3A Class for a Chance to Win Babe's Lunch

• Ping Pong Club Meets Wed.

Secret Social Media

Anonymous Twitter Account Spreads Kind Words

Jessica Hammond, Sports Manager

“Twitter Beef.” Some students eat, breathe and live it. Drama on social media has become a show and a favorite past time for students. With the rise of cyberbullying, as documented in a study by a UK-based internet market research firm, kids are more affected by what is said online that physical bullying, for a number of reasons, including the public harassment and relentlessness that comes with not being face to face with the victim.

What’s the point of it all? Sometimes it’s hard to understand why people get such a rush from calling other people names behind the screen of their phone. Bringing people down and hurting reputations is so easy to do, and is now seen too often.

But in the midst of this troubling time, there’s a glimmer of hope. An anonymous student has taken it upon themselves to stop the cycle of bringing others down.

@whscompli2014 is a twitter account tailored to giving out anonymous compliments to the student body. In a matter of just two hours, over 250 compliments were tweeted to different students. From creativity, to beauty, to personality, genuine and kind words have been sent out from this account.

Junior Nick Mueller said “[These compliment accounts] are a great way to give off a sense of positivity. Too many times I find people downing each other on [Twitter]. Social media should be a positive network. If you can’t do that, then don’t use it at all.”

Personally, it brings a smile to my face knowing that someone thinks that I “always bring out the best in people”. It’s uplifting and encouraging to know someone took their own time and effort to send something kind to me. Even something as simple as that.

Thank you, whoever you are, for being a great example of how us students should spend our time, instead of talking trash on social media just to get some meaningless favorites and retweets.

There’s more to life than twitter, trust me. People actually have feelings, believe it or not. So next time you’re looking for some attention on social media, try posting something that’s going to bring positive attention to you, instead of negative attention to someone else.