The student news site of Wakeland High School

Wakeland Access

• Student Council Is Meeting After School Oct. 14th To Discuss Halloween

• Donate Canned Food Goods to your 3A Class for a Chance to Win Babe's Lunch

• Ping Pong Club Meets Wed.

A Solution to the Problem

Gabriella Johnson, Design Editor

The problem in today’s society is that it’s right and wrong, yes and no, black and white. To every problem, there can only be one solution, as proven by standardized tests. Somehow, one answer became THE answer, disregarding context to the issue. More importantly, with the recent events taking place in Baltimore, Maryland following the funeral of Freddie Gray, who died while in police custody, it’s becoming evident that America sees the world as black and white.

However, it’s not.

Step outside and see an abundance of green covering the trees. See the blue water falling from the sky and pooling together in puddles or lakes. Look up in the evening and see a multitude of pinks, purples, oranges and yellows combining into a perfect sunset.

In a world full of color representing endless possibilities, how can there be only white and black?

There is an issue of race. To deny that is admitting that their residence is under a rock. The issue of race is more than black and white, as so many make it out to be. Rather, it’s an issue of those who are tired of not having a voice.

To those saying violence isn’t the answer and that if those who are voiceless want a chance to speak, they have to follow in the footsteps of Martin Luther King Jr., look at the world around you. This generation knows nothing of a peaceful protest because it’s bombarded with violence. We’re shown images of ISIS and are forced to watch videos of the Twin Towers’ collapse to justify a war in the Middle East. We pay nearly $10 to see action packed films of heroes enacting change after destroying an entire city block. We know nothing of peaceful protests because we’re taught from a very young age that the only way to be heard is to act out aggressively.

That being said, I don’t agree with the protests. Looting stores in the name of “justice” isn’t helping the cause, it’s decreasing its value. Hurting journalists who try to increase the volume of a cry of injustice hurts the protesters as well.

The world is not right and wrong. It’s not yes and no. It’s not black and white. It’s a chain of circumstances with unique contexts and unique scenarios. There is no magical answer to solve every problem. What worked 50 years ago may not work today. What’s happening today in one country may not work in a different country.

We are not all white, we are not all black. However, we all have a voice.

We all have ideas. We all have dreams. We all have struggles and hopes and triumphs and failures and ambitions and secrets and we all have a voice. In America, we are free to use it.

So use your voice. Instead of posting a status on social media with a hashtag, talk it out. Spread your ideas using more than 140 characters or a single picture. Despite popular belief, the entire world doesn’t see what you post, and even those who do see it may skim over it after a quick glance. While social media has enabled us to connect with the entire world, it has made us silent. No longer are our conversations over current events, rather we send out a tweet or facebook post expecting it to change the world and never talk it out with one another. Our voices our powerful, it doesn’t make sense that we aren’t using them. We as a generation have reached the age where we can change the world. Unfortunately, with great power comes great responsibility, and while we have the chance to make the world a greater place, we also have the power through ignorance and silence to make it worse.

I can’t say the way to make change happen is one way or another, that’d be contradicting this entire argument, rather I encourage everyone to find their own effective way.

There is an issue at hand, it’s up to us to find the solution.