The student news site of Wakeland High School

Wakeland Access

• Student Council Is Meeting After School Oct. 14th To Discuss Halloween

• Donate Canned Food Goods to your 3A Class for a Chance to Win Babe's Lunch

• Ping Pong Club Meets Wed.

21st Century Diversity

Gay. Caucasian. Transgender. Jewish. Asian. Muslim. Straight. Indian.

The lunch room's most notable feature is the flags that follow the edges of the room. Countries in the picture include South Korea, Singapore, Ecuador, Nigeria, Bahrain and Ghana

Rohit Bolla

Rohit Bolla

Rohit Bolla, Reporter

The American public school system is one of the most diverse institutions on the planet; Catering to the over 56 million children living in one of the oldest examples of a true cultural fusion. Schools right now have an incredibly colorful student body. We are at the pinnacle of human society where people are no longer just seen as a boy or girl. Race is amplified, sexuality is much more out in the open, religion is more tolerant and our simple blueprint of social society has tripled in height.

Now diversity in this day and age comes with pros, like public image tactics and the ability to be around so many different perspectives, but it definitely has a dark side. It gives the ability to stem harmful views like racial profiling, bullying, racism and just plain hate.

Each one of us has the ability to type our feelings on a screen and share it with millions of people. With this accessibility, disrespectful statements on social media are more present than ever.

Instagram, Twitter and even Facebook are all huge factors of the social stream in school and it is absolutely critical that we educate our millennium on simply being respectful – from our smart phones and our human Face.

Wakeland is not the most diverse school. According to k12.niche.com, our school demographics are:

69% Caucasian

14% Hispanic

7% African American

4% Asian

3% Multiracial

70% of our student body is the same race. Now that kind of statistic can offshoot two things. Either a majority of the school is one unanimous voice and has a generally similar opinion on topics, or even those people have their individual voices and opinions – most of them different from one another.

I like to look at Wakeland as the latter. Diversity isn’t just the variation of race. Diversity is a pool of different opinions, unique perspectives and simple characteristics specific to the being. We are unalike, some more then others. But what does this mixture do to the student life in the school?

The state of Texas, indirectly the administration of every public school in Texas, has required, by law, to allow for the formation of student clubs and organizations. As Associate Principal Donna Edge said, “The views and beliefs of the organization may not be the same as our administration, but we are under [Texas Education Board] law to allow for the formation of them as long as they don’t pose a harm to other students.” So students in theory can create any club they want as long they don’t threaten the safety or well being of other kids.

Clubs and organizations are key to having a balanced and cohesive campus life. Some of Wakeland’s clubs include Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Future Farmers of America (FFA), Jewish Student Association (JSA), the Catholic Student Association (CSA), the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) and much, much more. They provide a sanctuary for students to find fellow peers and be around people who share the same view or interest.

In a sense, each club is its own small nation; containing a hierarchy of presidents, officers, and supporters. And just like real nations, they have their moments of conflict with other groups.

These clubs are vital to allow the student body to breathe and let loose around people of like characteristics, so it is vital that we find an efficient and useful tactic to handle these problems.