The student news site of Wakeland High School

Wakeland Access

• Student Council Is Meeting After School Oct. 14th To Discuss Halloween

• Donate Canned Food Goods to your 3A Class for a Chance to Win Babe's Lunch

• Ping Pong Club Meets Wed.

From Their Eyes To Our Ears

Boys Soccer Stunned In State Final

Mathew Bevan, Public Relations

Varsity boys soccer came as close as possible to bringing home the gold this season and doing what others couldn’t have even imagined after the boys won state in 2012.

“Making playoffs this year came into my mind last year when we lost to Lufkin,” senior captain Nick Mueller said. “It was just something that with the power of the team I knew was coming, we knew we were going to make playoffs but because we had lost last year, we were striving to do more. Obviously a state championship is where we wanted to be, but we had to get to playoffs first.”

Before the state final match, the boy’s record rested at 25-0-1 with a perfect regular season under their belts, and linked together by brotherhood.

“I think the biggest thing that led us undefeated into the playoffs was the brotherhood, you know obviously a lot of people know that we have talented players but the brotherhood behind the team is what pushed us to greater success,” Mueller said.  “A lot of people don’t know that we were always hanging out whether it was a team dinner or on the side on like a Saturday, like we were always hanging out and that really did help, a lot of teams don’t do that.”

One of the biggest goals for the team this season was to get everyone involved, get all of the seniors playing time and give everyone a chance out on the field when the starters had a chance to rest in the regular season.

“My favorite regular season game was probably Lone Star on senior night and that’s just because I really took everything in and took it for what it was and that’s not because we beat them however bad we did, it was just really because it was awesome to see other kids do things that we normally have to do,” Mueller said. “Thomas Brown I think scored two goals that night and Thomas does not play a lot but that’s also something that helped us succeed was that he accepted that and he did his job on the sidelines, and so seeing that on senior night was really, really special and I think the starters played probably ten minutes that night but seeing everyone else get the opportunity to have fun and do what they love alongside their brothers is really special to us.”

In the playoffs, the team tried to do the same, give everyone a chance to play and put forth their effort to lead the team as far as they could go.

“The state semi-final, it was just different,” Mueller said. “The atmosphere was just incredible, the amount of students that came down, and the amount of students in the stands and just how crazy and loud everyone was. It was just like they had a passion for the game too and scoring four goals in the state semi-final and being able to play every single player on the team. I tweeted that out but you don’t see that, I honestly don’t think there’s a team in the history of Texas High School Soccer that has played every single person, and that’s something that we did and that’s something that Coach always challenged us to do was get everyone on the field and just to do that in the state semi-final with 6,000 plus people watching was just incredible.”

The state semi-final would be the last win for the boys this season. In the state final, the team was tied with Brownsville-Porter 2-2 headed into overtime and it took ten rounds of penalty kicks to decide a state champion.

“PK’s don’t decide a winner and I would tell you the same words if we had won the state championship,” Mueller said. “PK’s cannot decide a winner and some team has to lose on PK’s and unfortunately half of it is luck and half of it is fate.”