Wakeland Access

Art Students Participate In Regional Competition

Lauren Lewellen

Lauren Lewellen

Jenna Zapata, Editor In Chief

Last Saturday, February 27th, students competed in the UIL regional Visual Arts Scholastic Event, or VASE at Williams High School in Plano, Texas. This event is where students can enter any art piece they have done in the last year to be judged. For senior Lauren Lewellen this is the second time she has entered.

“I love going to VASE.” Lewellen said. “It’s so fun to meet other people from the area and get feedback from a new perspective on your art.”

Any high school level art student can enter up to two pieces. It cost $15 per piece. There are different divisions based on what class you are in or have taken. Once the students have registered their art, they have to mat the artwork. On competition day they check in and get a specific time and juror assignment. They go to the assigned room and then wait for their time. Once they are called into the room, students will have a one on one interview and critique with a juror. Students will tell them about their piece, their methods, inspirations, and anything else they ask them.

“For every piece I make, I try to look at it from a juror’s point of view, and I take time to really get other people’s input.” Lewellen said.

The juror then gives the artwork a 1-4 rating. The pieces that receive 4’s are laid out for viewing at the end of the day. After everyone has left, the 4’s are then re-evaluated for the state competition.

“You find out if you got a 4 or not based on if your piece was in the gyms on display at the end of the day, but state qualifiers don’t find out till the Monday after usually.” Lewellen said. “I was the only Wakeland person that went to state last year, but this year no one made it.”

Wakeland had 25 students participate, who took a total of 40 art pieces. Of the 40 they entered, 34 earned the “Superior” rating of 4. The remaining 6 pieces earned “Excellent” ratings of 3. While no one from Wakeland High School advanced to the state event, the art department is still very excited to have so many pieces do so well.

“I was a little disappointed because I got a perfect score on my photograph, but there was a lot of tough competition, and the way they judge for state is based on votes by jurors not based on score.” Lewellen said.