The student news site of Wakeland High School

Wakeland Access

• Student Council Is Meeting After School Oct. 14th To Discuss Halloween

• Donate Canned Food Goods to your 3A Class for a Chance to Win Babe's Lunch

• Ping Pong Club Meets Wed.

Craze for Sodapalooza

Students Add Stop to RaceTrac to Their Schedules

Loading+up+twice+a+day+on+Dr.+Pepper%2C+freshman+Parker+Jones+kicks+off+the+start+of+summer+with+his+Sodapalooza+cup.+Jones+has+bought+a+Sodapalooza+cup+all+three+years+RaceTrac+has+offered+it.+%E2%80%9CI+live+off+of+Dr.+Pepper+so+being+able+to+get+it+free+for+summer+is+great%2C%E2%80%9D+Jones+said.+
Loading up twice a day on Dr. Pepper, freshman Parker Jones kicks off the start of summer with his Sodapalooza cup. Jones has bought a Sodapalooza cup all three years RaceTrac has offered it. “I live off of Dr. Pepper so being able to get it free for summer is great,” Jones said.

Ashna Wagle

Ashna Wagle

Ashna Wagle, Reporter

With a sea of people rushing through the RaceTrac doors Wednesday, April 27, hundreds of students purchased Sodapalooza cups as a refreshing way to escape the upcoming summer’s heat. Due to RaceTrac’s proximity to the school, one on Main Street and another on Eldorado Parkway, students make a pit stop to fill up their tall cups on there way to school.

“This is my second year [purchasing a cup],” freshman Filippa Swardh said. “It’s good deal – you get a bunch of free sodas for all of summer, so it gives you an excuse to go get any drink you want.”

Many returning purchasers were upset of the rise in cost of last year’s $7.99 cup to this year’s $11.99 cup. However, with the coupon on the RaceTrac app,the Sodapalooza cup is $9.99 instead.

“Last year I got my Sodapalooza cup for my birthday,” Swardh said. “This year, I bought it myself. I didn’t really mind that it was more expensive because it’s still only $4 more, and that’s still a great deal.”

In the summer of 2015, Sodapalooza customers drank 1,242,812 gallons of teas, sodas, frozen drinks and vitamin waters according to RaceTrac’s website. Most mornings, junior Kseniya Vishnyakova selects a vitamin water during the mornings to keep her going throughout the day and then treats herself in the evenings and on weekends with a frozen drink or soda. Vishnyakova and Swardh said they go once or twice a day depending on whether they have time.

I usually just get sodas like Dr. Pepper,” Swardh said. “It’s my favorite drink, so getting the cup is a great deal for me to be able to get a bunch of Dr. Pepper for $11.99. It’s also 10 bucks for free sodas for the entire summer. Getting Sodapalooza gets me ready for the summer.”