The student news site of Wakeland High School

Wakeland Access

Wakeland Access

Wakeland Access

Irving Berlin’s White Christmas Preview: The Best Things Happen at Wakeland Fine Arts

Photo via Wakeland Theater website

Based on the 1954 film with the same title, Irving Berlin’s White Christmas first premiered in St. Louis in 2000. The book is by David Ives and Paul Blake, and Irving Berlin did the music and lyrics. And before Wakeland Theater’s five-show run of the musical this upcoming weekend, I observed their final dress rehearsal. 

As the house lights dimmed, I felt transported to post-war tranquility. Led by Wakeland Band and Orchestra students, I, too, started to dream of a white Christmas. 

David Trejo and Garrett Sexton, as the dynamic duo of Phil Davis and Bob Wallace, respectively, played off each other in severe and comedic moments. In the second act, the characters adopt a more feminine persona for a song. “Sisters (Reprise)” conveyed the two’s concurrent adaptability. 

Opposite of Trejo, Ella Brookshire starred in the role of Judy Haynes. During the pair’s dance duet in “The Best Things Happen While You’re Dancing,” they seemed to float across the stage. Brookshire’s grand pink dress accompanied her beautiful movement alongside Trejo — mimicking Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.

Madison Glazier brought careful sophistication to her role as Betty Haynes. She begins her solo in “Love, You Didn’t Do Right By Me / How Deep Is The Ocean” by descending from a staircase surrounded by ensemble members (reflecting Marilyn Monroe in “Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend”). She maturely yet delicately sang notes relating to the sensitivity of the plot. In the same vocal highlight, Sexton’s character is illuminated as he longingly sings to Glazier’s character as if they are the only two people on stage. 

In addition, Martha Watson (Kelsey Rayer) adds imminent comic relief and more skilled dance and singing performances. Throughout the show, the musical’s impressive dance ensemble performed multiple dance breaks involving styles from ballet to tap dance.

The number titled “White Christmas” closed the show on a sentimental note. The entire cast’s performance concluded the plot with happiness, fluffiness, and Christmas-time cheerfulness.

To truly get into the holiday spirit, catch the show in the Wakeland auditorium — opening night is tonight December 14, 2023 at 7:00 pm. There are four more performances on the 15th and 16th at 7:00 pm and on the 16th and 17th at 2:00 pm.