The student news site of Wakeland High School

Wakeland Access

Wakeland Access

Wakeland Access

Third time’s a charm as “Madame Web” finally spun into theaters

Marvel’s latest movie finally debuts after two failed previous release dates
Photo from https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/madame-web-release-date-trailer-cast-more/.

Madame Web, a new upcoming Marvel movie, is the story of a Manhattan paramedic who develops the power to see the future and realizes she can use her visions to change it. While forced to defy her past, Cassandra Webb forges a relationship with three young women and tries to save their futures while being hunted by a merciless enemy. Something that many people aren’t aware of, the movie was scheduled to show twice already, once on July 7, 2023, and was then pushed to October 6th. It is was released on February 14, 2024. 

“I have seen the trailer, and I would definitely watch it,” sophomore Piper Lee said.

Stars Sydney Sweeny, Isabela Merced, Celeste O’Connor, and Dakota Johnson play four powerful characters who are all variably Spider-Woman in some capacity. As these four are well-known stars, Sweeney has played in various popular movies such as Anyone But You, and was featured in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Dakota Johnson is a viral star in various movies, one being Need for Speed. Isabela Merced has starred in Dora: The Lost City of Gold, and her co-star Celeste O’Connor has starred in Ghostbusters Afterlife and The In Between.

“I don’t watch many Marvel movies but the ones I have seen I’ve enjoyed,” junior Mandy Becker said.

The original comic character Madame Web was struck with an illness called myasthenia gravis that includes a breakdown of communication between nerves and muscles. As a side effect, she developed powerful psychic abilities and used them to become a medium. She becomes connected to a life support system designed by her husband, Jonathan Webb, which included a series of tubes shaped like spider-webs. Although in the comics she has always been portrayed as a blind elderly woman, the live action will showcase significant deviations from her original portrayal, such as having her sight, being young, unmarried, and working with three other Spider-Women.

“I am looking forward to watching this movie because I’ve loved watching all the Marvel movies they’ve come out with,” junior Chloe Johnson said.

Catch Madame Web at the Cinemark in Frisco Square, the CUT! location at the tollway and 380, or Flix Brewhouse. Check the theater web sites for times.