The student news site of Wakeland High School

Wakeland Access

Wakeland Access

Wakeland Access

Helping Hands Club

Wakeland has a new club to add to the books! Helping Hands Club is the newest addition to the clubs and organizations here at Wakeland High School. Helping Hands is an association that engages in charitable events that provide children or students in Frisco with needed or desired resources.

“It was a long process to start, but worth the journey,” co-president Maddie Bonello said.

The club is led by co-presidents Madeline Bonello and Ryan Geismar, who are both juniors at Wakeland. They guide the club with help from junior vice-president Olivia Rowe and junior ambassador Claire Enright. 

As members of this club, students can earn service hours while giving back to those less fortunate in the community, by participating in impactful service projects.

“To start our club, we needed to find organizations to partner with who share similar goals,” Geismar said. 

Helping Hands Club meets once a month on Wednesdays in Mr. Laine’s room (D125). This club is open to everyone and offers different service hour opportunities for students who are interested in becoming members.

“We were looking for ways to make an impact in the community and decided to partner with our favorite organizations for a service project club,” Rowe said.

The very first meeting of the Helping Hands Club took place on October 25th, 2023. Students gathered in Mr. Laine’s room for the first half of power lunch to meet the new club officers. The officers introduced themselves, explained the mission of their club, and detailed projects future members would get to participate in.

Different activities that club members are involved in include making cards, creating artwork with encouraging messages, and donating food, hygiene products, or clothing to support item drives.

“We wanted to provide help to not only our school but also those who may be struggling in the rest of the district,” Bonello said.