The student news site of Wakeland High School

Wakeland Access

Wakeland Access

Wakeland Access

A Passion for Performance

Being part of a musical takes a lot of commitment. Recently, Wakeland freshman Maya Waters spent almost every day rehearsing her part in the Wakeland Theatre production of Irving Berlin’s White Christmas.

In preparation for the musical, we have rehearsals every day except for Fridays and most Sundays,” Waters said. It becomes hard sometimes to manage both school and the musical.”

It takes a lot of cooperation to make a show successful, and Waters admires how everyone involved is so understanding and hardworking. Waters is also very grateful for the sense of community within the theater department.

The most enjoyable part of rehearsals for me is interacting with the cast and running through the show because it’s so fun to see the whole thing come together,” Waters said. 

She has been able to rely on her fellow cast members for support, as she has rehearsed White Christmas.

“I couldn’t be more grateful for the acceptance and help of the entire cast and crew, as I try to navigate my way through Wakeland Theatre this year,” Waters said.

Since she has never been much of a dancer, Waters’ role in the dance ensemble is a bit unfamiliar and challenging.

“The dancing we do is much more meticulous and physically taxing than [the] choreography I’ve done before. I couldn’t be more proud to be a part of dance ensemble though because it has helped me grow and improve my skills so much,” Waters said. 

She is more used to singing and acting than dancing, and according to her friends and peers, Waters has a great talent for singing.

“Maya is a very talented performer, but her most outstanding talent is her singing. She’s been singing since childhood and is passionate about improving no matter how amazing she already is. She won’t admit it, but she has one of the most beautiful voices you will ever hear,” Wakeland freshman Medha Suryadevara, a close friend of Water’s, said.

Suryadevara has known Waters for three years, and they performed in multiple shows together at Cobb Middle School.

“I’ve performed with Maya in three plays. Maya is a really supportive castmate and she’s very dedicated to theater. She always had her lines memorized and she always stayed at rehearsals as long as she could. She made theater a standout for me and I really appreciate her as a castmate and as a friend,” Suryadevara said.

Waters has always loved theater and given her all to it throughout the years. Waters especially loves the theater department at Wakeland and plans to keep performing in Wakeland shows as much as she can throughout her high school career.

“I definitely plan on continuing to act in Wakeland musicals and plays because acting is one of my greatest passions, and I have found a family in the cast and crew of White Christmas,” Waters said. 

A large number of hardworking and talented Wakeland students such as Waters have given their all to making White Christmas and other Wakeland shows a success. It is important to support these wonderful actors and technicians by going to Wakeland shows like White Christmas to see how their hard work has paid off!