The student news site of Wakeland High School

Wakeland Access

Wakeland Access

Wakeland Access

Wolverines Looking to Finish Strong

Allison Schnelle

At the Bearcats’ 30-yard line, Wolverines senior quarterback Brennan Myer received the ball with a little over nine minutes remaining in the first quarter and scanned the field for an open teammate. He then delivered the ball to senior wide receiver Ashdyn Kahouch for a touchdown reception, giving the Wolverines their first touchdown in a 56-24 win over Sherman on Friday, October 27, 2023.

“I [knew it was] going to be a fun game. We just [had to] stay focused and keep going,” sophomore wide receiver Grayson Myer said.

As well as his touchdown to start the game, Kahouch added to his great performance with another score later in the game and 120 total receiving yards. Adding to Kahouch’s play, contributions from junior wide receiver Ryder Treadway, junior running back Ivan Molina, senior wide receiver Donovan Woolen, and Grayson Myer led to the Wolverines’ offensive execution with 89 receiving yards and one receiving touchdown from Treadway, 47 rushing yards and two rushing touchdowns from Molina, 29 receiving yards and one receiving touchdown from Woolen, and 76 receiving yards from Myer.

“We spent a lot of time practicing and watching film so that we could know what the other team [was] going to do,” Myer said.

After giving up the most points since their 31-35 loss to Lone Star on September 22, 2023, they will look to execute better on the defensive end.

“We made some simple mistakes by mostly having our eyes in the wrong spots and not doing our 1/11–trying to do more than our individual jobs,” Myer said.

Now 7-2 overall and 5-2 in district, they look to finish off the regular season strong in their next game against Frisco on Friday, November 3 at 7 p.m. at Little Elm High School with tickets available for purchase at https://tickets.friscoisd.org/.

“We’re going to watch a lot of film and make sure our eyes are in the right place so that we won’t get caught in a bad position in the game,” Myer said.