The student news site of Wakeland High School

Wakeland Access

Wakeland Access

Wakeland Access

Wolverines Look to Kickoff their Playoff Season

Allison Schnelle

After starting the second half down 14-17 against Frisco, Wolverines quarterback Brennan Myer received the snap with a little over eight minutes left in the third quarter and handed the ball off to junior running back Ivan Molina for a 7-yard rushing touchdown, giving the Wolverines their first lead since being up 7-0 with four and half minutes played in the first quarter.

“We really needed to wake up [because] everyone was playing tired. I was happy [to put us ahead],” Molina said.

Energized by Molina’s strong start to the second half, the Wolverines came back to win 42-24 on Friday, November 3, 2023.

“In the second half, we became more comfortable and started trusting each other more,” Molina said.

As well as Molina’s touchdown to start the second half, he scored another rushing touchdown later in the game and recorded 83 total rushing yards. On the receiving end, senior wide receiver Donovan Woolen, sophomore wide receiver Grayson Myer, and junior wide receiver Ryder Treadway also contributed to the Wolverines’ successful night. Woolen recorded 119 receiving yards. Grayson Myer and Treadway  each had a receiving touchdown and 84 receiving yards and 73 receiving yards, respectively.

Despite winning, the Wolverines look to be more focused on the defensive end in their next games to ensure that they start the games better.

“We were staring into the backfield, missing tackles, and just making a lot of little mistakes,” Molina said.

With the playoffs ahead after finishing with an 8-2 overall record and placing third in district, key players, Molina and Grayson Myer, look forward to playing with more responsibilities.

“Last year, I got pulled up for the playoffs, but I only played on special teams. Now that I have a bigger role, it’s going to be more exciting, and we’re going to try to go as [far] as we can,” Grayson Myer said.

As they kickoff the playoffs, they will play their first game against Mansfield Timberview on Friday, November 10, 2023 at 7 p.m. at Newsom Stadium in Mansfield. To show your support, you can buy tickets at https://tickets.friscoisd.org/.

“If everyone does their assignment, the game will go the way we want it to,” Molina said.

View Comments (1)
About the Contributors
Josh McDaniel
Josh McDaniel, Editor-In-Chief
Hi!  I am currently a senior at Wakeland, and this is my third year of writing for Wakeland Access.  I plan on studying journalism in college and being a sports writer in the future.  Outside of writing, I enjoy spending time with my family, singing in the Wakeland choir, and running for the cross country team.
Allison Schnelle
Allison Schnelle, Senior Yearbook Editor
Hi! My name is Allison Schnelle, and I am one of the senior editors on the yearbook staff. This is my third year on the prowler staff, but I was on the Griffin staff in middle school for two years as well. Yearbook is my life. I spend the majority of my free time photographing Wakeland games and performances and other events. Additionally, I am an ISM student currently studying sports photography. Other than photography, I love graphic design. I have designed five journalism shirts, numerous templates in the 2024 yearbook, and I helped design the cover. I plan on attending Baylor or TCU to major in graphic design in the fall of 2024. Finally, I am a cheerleader on Sabres at Cheer Athletics Plano, where I have been cheering for the past six years.

Comments (1)

All Wakeland Access Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• Z

Zoe AgpalzaNov 8, 2023 at 11:54 pm

I’m glad the team started to work things out!

Reply