The student news site of Wakeland High School

Wakeland Access

Wakeland Access

Wakeland Access

Wakeland On Ice

Wakeland On Ice
frisbeerob.com

Frisco is known for its wide variety of high school sports, especially its football teams, but there are many other options for various athletes. The Dallas area is also home to a variety of ice sports that many Wakeland students are involved in. These sports offer excitement and opportunity for those who have been playing for years, and they are an incredible experience for anyone looking to try something new.

One of these sports is figure skating, which offers a way to express yourself artistically, while staying physically active. It’s also an opportunity to build relationships. Soha Ahmed is a junior at Wakeland who has been skating since fifth grade. 

“I love the relationship you have with your coaches and other skaters. I also just love being on the ice. I feel like it’s the best feeling ever. Whenever I’m stressed, that’s the one thing I can just do,” Ahmed said.

For those looking to get even more from the sport, figure skating is also an opportunity to be competitive. Eva Bush is a sophomore at Wakeland who has been competitively skating at the Galleria Ice Rink for around two years.

“The best thing about skating is the community that it builds and the experience that you can gain. But my favorite memory is probably getting first place in my competitions. They create a feeling that is unforgettable,” Bush said.

Ice sports are enhanced by the qualities of their unique surface. The ice allows athletes to accomplish many unique feats that would otherwise be impossible, such as the incredible jumps and spins that often take figure skaters years to perfect.

“My favorite memory from skating is when I landed my first axel because it felt so good and relieving to be able to land it for the first time,” said Ahmed.

Another ice sport in the Dallas area is ice hockey. The Dallas Stars are a National Hockey League team, and their close proximity has fostered the growth of hockey in surrounding areas and even among Wakeland students.

Bobby Williams, a junior at Wakeland, was pulled into the world of hockey at a young age. He has been playing for thirteen years, and he currently plays for the Dallas Stars Elite Hockey Club.

“The best thing about hockey is the adrenaline rush you get from playing,” Williams said.

Like figure skating, hockey uses the frozen surface to elevate the game. The remarkable speed and physicality of ice hockey players are just some of the many qualities that set this sport apart.

“It’s not a race because most sports that involve speed are races, but you can move a lot faster on ice than you can running. Also, you can hit people, which either hurts a lot or it’s something that benefits you,” Williams said.

Like figure skating, hockey gives athletes the opportunity to travel and compete in different places, creating lifelong memories along the way.

“My favorite memory of hockey was during Nationals a couple of years ago. Not even playing, we were in the middle of downtown Chicago, and we were kind of off on our own, so it was a lot of fun,” Williams said.  

For anyone looking to start something new, there are countless opportunities to get involved. The Dallas Stars offer a network of community skating rinks with locations in Frisco and surrounding areas. These locations offer a variety of classes and other ways to get involved with both figure skating and hockey. For more information, you can visit Comerica Center’s website.

“Don’t be scared to put yourself out there. A big part of skating is having the confidence to go out and take off for a jump or do a spin. Even if you feel like you don’t have experience, I feel like anyone could learn it. Just sign up for some classes and have fun with it. Don’t get yourself stressed out about it,” Ahmed said.

It can seem overwhelming to start a new sport, but try not to overthink it.

“Learn to skate first. Half of [playing hockey] is learning to skate. Then when you learn everything else, learn it together. Don’t learn how to shoot and stickhandle off the ice, do it while you’re in skates or moving, so it doesn’t take longer,” Williams said.

An important thing to remember is that the heart of these sports is having fun.

“Most people are scared of falling or looking bad, but don’t worry, it’s way more fun than it is scary,” Bush said.