The student news site of Wakeland High School

Wakeland Access

Wakeland Access

Wakeland Access

Wolverines Run Past Mansfield Timberview in Playoff Victory

Allison Schnelle

With the Wolverines down 7-10 against first-round playoff opponent Mansfield Timberview, Wolverines senior quarterback Brennan Myer received the ball near the end zone and looked for an open teammate. He then delivered the ball to senior wide receiver Donovan Woolen for a 7-yard touchdown pass, giving the Wolverines their first lead of the game a little less than a minute into the second quarter.  After the score, the Wolverines never looked back, as they ended up winning 21-18 on November 10, 2023.

“That was a huge touchdown for the team,” junior wide receiver Ryder Treadway said. “Donovan definitely came up big and made a great play for us to put us in the lead.”

Contributing to the Wolverines’ successful night, Woolen finished with 105 total receiving yards and two receiving touchdowns with the other score being a 77-yard reception to tie the game at 7-7 in the first quarter. Great performers on the night also included Treadway with 87 total receiving yards, senior wide receiver Ashdyn Kahouch with 51 total receiving yards, and junior running back Ivan Molina with 45 total receiving yards and one receiving touchdown.

“Everybody doing their part helped our team come together and create the great plays we had in the game,” Treadway said.

Through big moments from Treadway and other players, they were able to upset Mansfield Timberview whose only regular-season loss came against undefeated Richland, the third best team in the state, according to MaxPreps’ Texas Division 5A Standings.

“[It] was definitely a special win for us,” Treadway said. “But the season’s not over, [and] we’re not done yet. We’re hoping for a long playoff run and [to] go to state.”

As they look to continue their playoff run, they will play Lancaster tonight at 7 p.m. at Birdville ISD Stadium in North Richland Hills, Texas. Be sure to show your support and buy tickets at https://tickets.friscoisd.org/.

“[We need to] do our best to apply the game plan [and] make sure everyone’s doing their jobs–the line’s got to block and the receivers have to get open,” Treadway said.