The student news site of Wakeland High School

Wakeland Access

Wakeland Access

Wakeland Access

Wolverines Look to Return to Tradition

Soha Ahmed

After winning consecutive state championships in 2021 and 2022, the Wolverine boys soccer team came up short in 2023 with a loss to Reedy in the regional quarterfinals. This year, they are looking to bring back the winning tradition.

“It just makes it all the more important that we win it all this year, and all of the kids on the team know it,” senior forward Frank Miller said. “We’re trying to take it all the way, and we’re pretty confident in our ability.”

On Tuesday, February 6, 2024, the Wolverines continued the climb towards playoff success in a 4-0 victory against Creekview with goals from junior winger Max Parra, Miller, senior midfielder Thomas Hayes, and junior winger Tyler Staner.

Within the first 15 minutes of the first half, Parra dribbled the ball and then shot it with power from 14 yards out, reaching the front post of the goal and giving the Wolverines an early lead. Later, near the end of the first half, senior midfielder Noah Pehr lined up to take a corner and delivered the ball to Miller in the middle to extend the lead before the end of the half.

“It was really awesome to score because it put us up 2-0,” Miller said.

Continuing the dominant play into the second half, Hayes found the back of the net off a header, and Staner found an opportunity inside the box to score before the end of the game.

“That was my first header goal, so it felt really good,” Hayes said.

As well as converting in the final third, the defense had a great performance with a second consecutive clean sheet, a game with no goals conceded, despite rotating goalkeepers between halves.

“The clean sheet represents how our team can succeed with any mix of players on the field,” senior goalkeeper Harrison Haugen said. “The hours we spend at practice everyday pay off as we showcase our skills to the rest of the district.”

The Wolverines are now in first place in the district with a 3-1-1 district record and will play Frisco High School tonight at 7:30 p.m. at Toyota Stadium. Be sure to buy tickets at tickets.friscoisd.org.

“We had a team dinner that helped us build our chemistry and strengthen our team relationships, which will be essential in our game against Frisco,” Haugen said.