The student news site of Wakeland High School

Wakeland Access

Wakeland Access

Wakeland Access

Abhigna Yella Exceeds as a Student Leader

Wakeland is home to 2180 students, each of whom are a part of numerous clubs and activities. Abhigna Yella, a current senior, is a huge part of Wakeland’s clubs and organizations as the founder of two of our popular clubs here. 

The first being Baking Club, which made its first debut two years ago. For the first meeting, the club only had a couple members, but those few students shared a common interest.

“I discovered others who were just as happy to bake as me,” Yella says. “And so, I am glad that my club has become a space in which we can all share our love for baking and also help out our community.” 

Yella’s club has found great success, especially considering its small start. Over the years, the club has amassed over a hundred members. 

In her sophomore year, Abhigna was elected to and undertook the president position of Environmental Conservation Organization, or more commonly known as ECO Club. The club was created to help keep the Wakeland campus free of litter, teach students about the need for environmental conservation, and serve the community as a whole.

“I had some guidance from my teacher sponsor, Sra. Segalini, and my upperclassmen officers when I first started. Together we were able to grow the ECO club and establish our environmental conservation spirit within the Wakeland, Frisco-ISD, and Frisco communities,” Yella explained. 

While heading her own organizations, Yella has been and continues to participate in many other clubs including Spanish National Honor Society, DECA, UNICEF, Mu Alpha Theta and Drama Club. She also works hard as the Company Commander and Commanding Officer of the Frisco-ISD National Navy Defense Cadet Corps (NNDCC).

“Clubs are like the other half of a high school education,” Yella stated. “Sure there are academics, but you also need athletics, band, theater, dance, NJROTC, or clubs. These extracurricular activities all have something in common: they teach you teamwork, community, and leadership.” 

Overall, this senior’s impact on Wakeland everlasting by establishing two popular clubs and participation in many others.